Health Careers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Student > College Subjects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Subjects needed for Medicine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 25>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Subjects needed for Medicine
    Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 4:48pm
Hi there,

I was looking at the Auckland and Otago Uni websites as I am interested in doing Medicine next year but I don't really want to take Physics this year because it is quite hard. It seems that there is no Physics paper at Auckland Uni in the Health Science first year (only in the BioMed year), so does this mean I can do Med at Auckland without taking Physics this year/needing any knowledge of Physics?

Thank you in advance!
Cindy View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Cindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 10:43am
Originally posted by healthCareers

Hi Mel,

You can still become a doctor without taking maths! What is most important for getting into medical school is that you have good grades in the subjects that you have taken at high school. However, you may need to take a statistics paper at university in your first year at medical school. Of course it would be best if you have some knowledge of maths before you attempt to do this course but if you don’t the right attitude to working hard will see you through.

If you would like to talk with someone in more detail about becoming a doctor then please feel free to email me again. I can put you in contact with a doctor for first hand experience.

Kind Regards,                                                                                                                                Healthcareers

Hi there, I'd just like to ask if you were meaning the 'first year of med school' as in the 2nd year of Uni after taking health science/bio med?

Calc looks interesting but very hard...so my marks might not be great
Stats seems less interesting but I might have a better chance a good grades

So which would you recommend?
Thanks
HealthCareers View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote HealthCareers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 11:13am
Hi Alex,

Thanks for your question.

If you want to enrol in medicine at Auckland University after completing one year of a BHSc, you must complete the five compulsory overlap papers (http://www.fmhs.auckland.ac.nz/faculty/undergrad/bhsc/structure.aspx#compulsory), as well as Chemistry of the Living World, and Biology: Cellular Processes as their approved elective courses.

However, we would recommend that you contact the faculty directly and ask them about physics. They will be able to provide you with all the information that you require.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,
HealthCareers NZ
HealthCareers View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote HealthCareers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 11:37am
Hi Cindy,

Thanks for your question.

Year One usually refers to the first year of the Bachelor of Health Sciences or the Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Science.

What papers you take really depends on what pathway you are using to get into medicine. Both the Bachelor of Health Science and the Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Science have required papers, which you will need to take. These are listed on both Auckland University's and Otago University's websites.

It is probably best if you go into your university and discuss your choices properly with student services. They will be able to help you tailor your courses to suit you. It is important to remember that you need a high grade point average to get into medical school, so you want to get this right.

Kind regards,
HealthCareers

Edited by healthCareers - 12 Jan 2011 at 12:00pm
Cindy View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Cindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 6:34pm
Hi again, thanks for your reply, I will get in contact with them soon
healthCareers View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
  Quote healthCareers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 11:02am
That's great to hear. Good luck!
Carmel View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Carmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 10:52pm
Hi,
I'm considering doing Medicine in university in the future at Auckland University or Otago. I'm going to be Year 13 this year and have to select five course options. I'm currently taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Calculus - However I can't decide whether I should take History or English this year as my humanities subject. I am moderately good at English but get better grades in History. I enjoy both of these subjects a lot. Should I take English, or History? - Would not taking English in Year 13 decrease my chance of getting into Medicine? Please help!

Thank You,
Carmel
healthCareers View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
  Quote healthCareers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 10:36am
Hi Carmel,

Thanks for your question. It's good to be organised and think about these things Smile

Both History and English could be good options for Auckland University - to get into a BHSc at Auckland University you need to have at least 18 credits in one subject from the humanities (for a full list of requirements, see: http://www.auckland.ac.nz/uoa/home/about/admission-and-enrolment/ae-undergraduate-students/ae-entry-requirements/ae-domestic-students/ae-national-certificate-of-educational-achievement), so it seems that either English or History would be fine. It really depends on which subject you want to take. Ideally, you will want to achieve the best marks possible, as this will increase your chances of getting into your course.

However, it's important to note that at Otago University, you will need to complete a compulsory English diagnostic test in your first year. See http://www.otago.ac.nz/english/health-sciences-test.html for more information. Therefore, you may feel that taking English will put you in a better position for this test.

If you're still unsure, I recommend that you give each faculty an email to check out their specific requirements. Otago's email is health-sciences@otago.ac.nz and Auckland's email is fmhs@auckland.ac.nz

Good luck!

Kind regards,
HealthCareers
Cindy View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Cindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 7:56pm

Hi,

I was wanting to do a conjoint BA/BHSc 
Would I still be able to apply to get into Med School after one year of Health Science? 
I doubt it cos I probably wouldn't do the amount of Health Science as full time Health Sci people Cry

But what do you think?

Thanks
Tino View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Tino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 10:15pm
hi there....I'm finishing school in level 2 this is because of complications in my last curriculum, I really wanted to do medicine but i heard you had to have a level 3 certificate as well to be able to do medicine....so i just wanted to know if there was a way i can do some sort of foundation in uni that can count to a level 3 certificate and enable me to do medicine..??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 25>