Health Careers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Student > College Subjects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Subjects needed for Medicine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Subjects needed for Medicine
    Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 11:35am

Hi,

I was just wondering that if im not as good at maths as everyone else and cannot take year 12 maths if i could still be able to become a doctor as in the school subjects it says that i need maths and i was just wondering if it would still be possible to become a doctor if i dont take maths as a subject?

Thanks
Mel
healthCareers View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
  Quote healthCareers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 11:41am

Hi Mel,

You can still become a doctor without taking maths! What is most important for getting into medical school is that you have good grades in the subjects that you have taken at high school. However, you may need to take a statistics paper at university in your first year at medical school. Of course it would be best if you have some knowledge of maths before you attempt to do this course but if you don’t the right attitude to working hard will see you through.

If you would like to talk with someone in more detail about becoming a doctor then please feel free to email me again. I can put you in contact with a doctor for first hand experience.

Kind Regards,                                                                                                                                Healthcareers

nick View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 8:14pm
which subjects are recommended/needed for medicine?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote healthCareers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 2:29pm
HI There,

We recommend that you study Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths with Statistics and English at year 13 level for medical school. This will make it easier for you in your first year as you will have classes that will build on the knowledge gained at year 13. You will be able to get into medical school without taking all of these subjects but you will need to work a bit harder once you are there.  :)

I hope this information helps you!

Kind Regards
healthcareers
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote healthCareers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 2:32pm
Ps, if you don't want to take Physics or Chemistry at year 13 level, you may be able to take a catch up course at summer school before the semester starts. It's a good idea to contact either Otago University or Auckland University for more information.
Emily View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Emily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 4:05pm

Is it necessary to take physics and maths for entry to med school?

Thanks
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote healthCareers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 1:36pm
Hi Emily,

You don't HAVE to take maths or physics to get into med school, but it will help you when you get there! In your first year of medical school you will need to take a first year maths with statistics and physics paper. You may be able to do a catch up class over summer school before you start in your first year so check out Auckland and Otago universities websites!

GOOD LUCK!

Healthcareers
youser View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote youser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 2:14am
do we need business studies if we are going to study medicine?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote healthCareers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 10:10am
Hi Youser,  (Smile)

No, you do not need to study business to get into medicine. One day if you decided to go into private practice such as a GP, then you may wish to study some business studies to assist you in managing your business.

Good luck with your studies,

Kind Regards
HealthcareersNZ
Belinda. View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Belinda. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 3:34pm

I am in my 6th form taking maths, chemistry, biology,english and physics as I hope to get into pediatrics..however I am struggling so much with physics. Any suggestions on what to do?? Or are there any medicine career options in which I don't need physics for..

Help would be much appreciated!! thankyou :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>